Saturday, January 10, 2009

After stalking blogs for the past eight months of our adoption process, I sort of knew what to expect to see in Ethiopia. In other words, there weren't too many surprises.
We saw the sadness and devastation of too many people, not enough jobs, and diseases without health care. We saw crazy construction, even crazier traffic (Belay said the traffic laws are merely suggestions!), horrible air pollution, goats along the highways, donkeys used for labor, mothers begging in the streets, children begging in the streets, homeless, lame, and crippled. We took our fruit snacks to distribute to those on the streets and sidewalks, but I almost felt guilty handing a mother with her hungry little baby one small package of fruit snacks. I knew what to expect, but it was still hard!

We had a wonderful driver--I think all of Gladney's drivers are wonderful! Eyasu(sp?) was ours. He wasn't a tour guide, but I knew he was watching out for us at all times. I could tell he enjoyed Faven and Diborah and was willing to help out with them when needed. He was even very patient and kind when Faven vomitted ALL OVER his back seat only minutes before we had to stop and change a flat tire. John, Kayla and I really liked Eyasu.

We stayed at a wonderful guest house as I have mentioned before. I read alot about Ayat House in other blogs and was thankful we were able to stay there. From Wagayu and Zimmet, I learned that I like having my bed made daily, coffee prepared for me each morning, my clothes washed, dried, AND ironed (yes, even our underwear and socks got ironed!), and a familiar face to go back to at the end of the day. Ayat House is within walking distance of the Gladney foster homes. We were also able to walk to a nearby restaurant which had delicious fruit smoothies for the girls and a playground.

In Ethiopia, we learned... how to bargain at the marketplace, not to count on internet service (we tried the Hilton daily but internet was down the entire time we were there), not to count on having electricity, not to let the guys/paparazzi at the zoo take your pictures unless you want to pay $2.00 per picture, Faven and Diborah are afraid of ALL animals (lions, cats, dogs, monkeys), spider monkeys that roam free at the zoo like Fanta soda (one tried to steal Kayla's!), we don't need more than 3 outfits, and we like eating with our hands.

However, our most valuable experiences in Ethiopia included meeting our daughters(obviously!), meeting our daughters' birthmom, and visiting the children at the orphanages, most of whom do not have forever families. We were able to visit Kolfe, Kechene and Kebebetsehay. These children are special. They are beautiful and funny and smart. They have had to deal with unspeakable experiences in their lives--experiences that we can't even imagine having to deal with. It is so overwhelming! Yet, they still have a smile for their visitors. They each deserve a family just like Faven and Diborah...just like Kayla, Nathan, Derek and Emma. They deserve parents who will love them and will give them food and clothes and hugs....
I would encourage anyone traveling to Ethiopia to visit these children. Spend some time talking to them and giving them hugs! They love visitors (and they love pictures!)!

I will forever cherish the time I got to spend with Faven and Diborah's birthmom. I will share more about that in another post.

12 comments:

Jen said...

We are on the paper chase now. Getting an addendum to our home study. Instead of 1 under 12 months at referral or 2, between the ages of 0 and 36 months at referral, we can adopt 1 or 2 between the age of 0-36m. We are thinking that Little M is probably an older toddler or maybe 3 years old. I got chills thinking that you may have given our little M a hug or maybe little M would turn out to be a friend of one of your girls. What an amazing turn would that be? To be continued.... First step, conference call with our social worker on Monday at 8am.... for addendum :) (our addendum will actually be for older than that to allow for wiggle room)

Sorry for rambling...I missed you.

Amber said...

I am so glad you shared your experience for others to hear. I can't wait to hear more.

coffeemom said...

LOVe reading this!! thank you and more please! You're in my prayers and thoughts and hoping it's all still settling well! Lov eM

Jim and Debbie said...

Love reading about your trip! It makes me want to go back soon! We are considering a 7-11 year old boy, so if you happened to meet any, let me know. =)
Blessings to you all.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for sharing your trip! I love the pictures below. You can tell the difference between the one taken on the first day and the last two pictures where they are just melting into your arms!

J, A, T and Y said...

Great to hear about your trip....love the pics!

~Laura~ said...

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I'm taking notes. :)

Jim and Debbie said...

Send me an email:
blessed2bemomof3@yahoo.com

Blessings,
Debbie

Ryane said...

Love hearing about your trip! It is so helpful for those of us still waiting.

Thanks~
Ryane

Farmboy and Buttercup said...

Loved your thoughts. Even though we were there once, I was SO overwhelmed on that trip, and hope to be able to experience it differently this go 'round. Enjoyed your post!

Sparkz said...

Loved to hear about your trip! I hadn't thought about some of that! Glad it went well, can't wait to hear more about the girls and how everyone is doing!

Wolfemom said...

Enjoy your posts... keep 'em coming. Stopping by to check in and offer encouragement to take it easy. You're doing a great job... even if you doubt yourself. Nothing we've done prepares us for this transition.