Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Seeing beyond the action

I've been reading the book, "The Boy Who Was Raised As a Dog". I know that many adoptive parents have read this. It is a great source of insight into the mind and brain of a child who has been traumatized. It is helping me to understand the changes that had to occur in my child's mind in order for her to cope with events in her life.
I have read many books that are great resources of insight and knowledge. I realize that I need to be able to read these books and apply their wisdom to my situation. The problem for me is that when I set these books down and am faced with a disciplinary problem or what would seem to be an act of defiance, I tend to resort back to my standard way of dealing with things--not that there's anything wrong with my standard way, if the child has not endured traumatic events.
So, I am going to challenge myself to ponder what this author has to say on a daily basis and strive to see the pain in my child's actions and respond with compassion and not frustration.

1 comment:

Paula said...

Lori, I haven't read this book, but I have been having the same struggle with my reactions to the twins' behavior. Starting school has been a huge step backward in terms of behavior at home. I know they are stressed and tired, and I have unfortunately also been stressed and tired... not a good combination and boy does it show. I was just thinking today that I need to force myself to slow down and be more mindful before I just let loose a tirade of angry mother. And I need to take time every day to remind myself of all the good things God gave me today and how these beautiful children are part of that goodness.
Wow. That was long.
Whew. Okay. I'm done now. :)