Friday, October 23, 2009

Commitment




This cool bear came to visit at our house. The coolest sister ever is under all of that fur, but, shhh, don't tell anyone! The littles still don't know it was Kayla!! Faven did say that she knew it was a 'she' because she could tell it had boobies!!! Hahaha! She's so observant!


I wanted to do a follow-up on my last post. I talked about the many trials in the early months of our adoption. I'm told that adopting an older child is much different than adopting an infant. The transition for an adopted child into the family is much more complicated if they're older (don't quote me on this...it's just what I've heard). However, this does not mean that everyone will experience the hardships that we experienced with our adoption. Each family is different. Each child or children being adopted is different. They will respond to change, their family, their new home, their new pets, their new school, the new food, and their past experiences in different ways. Some families may experience a transition much easier than ours, some may be harder. I believe that the key to success in raising children, whether biological, adopted as infants, toddlers, pre-teen, or as a teenager, with or without disabilities, is commitment. As I said before, I wondered whether or not we had made the right decision, but, from the moment we became their parents, I was committed. Through the good, bad, and the ugly, Faven and Diborah were stuck with us! (o:
I would not change our decision. Do I still advocate for older child adoption? Yes! I believe that the older children need homes, they need families, committed families. If you are considering or in the process of adopting an older child, do your research, talk to other families who have gone through it, and strap on your seatbelts and get ready for an exciting ride!! And know that through perseverance, you will receive an awesome reward in the end! To love and be loved by a child who will have a brighter future because you stepped out in faith.

7 comments:

Paula said...

Good post. We're still in the somewhat difficult phase, but things have gotten a lot easier in the last few weeks and I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I can't even imagine life now without my twin girls. :)

Robin said...

I stumbled across your post by accident, if I was one to believe in accidents. I want to thank you for your honestly; we've been home 4 months with a sibling group ages 3 and 6. It has been the hardest thing I've ever done in my life; and my marriage has gone through constant trials that some days seem endless. Although I believe we are over the "hump," things still aren't "cozy" like they used to be. Hopefully, one day soon, God will completely restore. In the meantime, it's comforting to know there are others on the same path -- not that I wish it on anyone, but to know that I'm not alone.

Jennifer said...

I'm so glad you are back! Yes, it is so rough at the beginning, isn't it? I'm glad you have prevailed and the kids sound like they are doing pretty darn good! My girls have been home almost three months now.
Jenny

emily said...

Lori,
So great to hear from you again. I just got caught up and praise the Lord that He redeems ALL things. I really appreciate your honesty! What a beautiful testiomony of how the hard can bring us to such a beautiful place.

Dana Lewis, DVM said...

Lori,

We have Deborah and Faven's cousin, Eyob here in NC now! you know Jane with Brikti! I have tried to track you down from the info from Eyob's birth mom but she only had your husband's first name and told me what she thought the university was but I couldn't find it online. my email is animaldoc@earthlink.net

Dana

Sparkz said...

That is a great sister to be under that fur. Looks like they enjoyed the visit! :)

Kristy -Mom To 9 Blessings said...

So glad to have you back in bloggerland friend! :-) Thanks so much for sharing your trials and triumphs with us all.
Many blessings,
Kristy