Tuesday, October 13, 2009






Are these sisters not just the cutest thing(s) ever?! These are my daughters....on good days and bad! Did I say bad? Is it politically correct to admit that somedays they drive me insane? Ok, then, I won't say that....

But, I will say that we have all come a long way in 9 1/2 months!

It's been a while since I've blogged, mostly because I haven't been inspired to share anything. I'm not a writer and just won't do it unless I really feel led.
So, here I am! As I said, Faven and Diborah have been home for 9 1/2 months. I would like to share with you some things that deserve some applause.....
**Language! We survived for a while on limited Amharic on our part and no english on theirs. But, it has been amazing to watch them grow and learn and now know how to communicate fully in English with anyone they meet. I always say that it's because they get sooooo much practice!! (o:
**When the girls first came to our home, they were terribly unruly for many reasons I won't go into. Now, they are well-behaved (ok, as well-behaved as my other children!) and respond to discipline....100's of gray hairs later! Faven's reading tutor at school was listening to her read from her book. She shared with me this story about Faven...
"...on one of the pages the little boy says, "Stop, Mom." Faven read that, shook her head and said, 'Oh, we don't say that to Mom at our house. That would be not respect. My dad would not be happy.'" A-ha!! She gets it!!
**Bonding did not happen as quickly as I would have liked, but I am finally starting to feel a bond with Faven and Diborah and I can sense that they are also bonding with me. Yesterday, when Faven was playing house with Emma, she said, "I am going to go over here and sit by my real mom." She was talking about me, by the way. Wow, that sounded good!!!
**Both of the girls love school.
**Not as much fear. Faven can walk to and from school by herself. Diborah can climb on the playground equipment without fear of falling. They both sleep in their own beds! Hooray!
The work of the enemy is very powerful. He does not want to see good being done. After bringing my daughters home, I questioned whether or not I had done the right thing...for myself, the girls, and my family. I felt like my family was the poster child for why NOT to adopt because we were so stressed and struggled with behavior problems. My husband and I had worked very hard in our community to raise money for the orphanages in Ethiopia and had been very vocal in advocating for older child adoption. Then, just 4 months after bringing our daughters home, we separated. I had so many doubts and fears and struggled with my faith.
But, God is good, and He prevailed!! My marriage has been restored, my faith has been restored and we are all feeling like a family again!!
I am thankful for a Heavenly Father who did not give up on me and my family when I felt like giving up! I am also SO thankful for friends (some who I only know through blogging) who cared for me enough to keep in touch and check in on me occasionally! A friend who will listen, support and not judge is priceless!!!!

8 comments:

Paula said...

I am so happy to read this post! I have thought of you often and wondered how you were doing and how things were going. We have had a challenging summer since bringing the twins home, but I feel like things are on an upward trend. I am so happy to see that your family is on a positive path... God IS good!

Sparkz said...

I am so glad to read this and am so happy for you. I can't imagine what all you have gone through... It is good that things are starting to look up and I hope that they stay that way for your family. God IS good. Were happy that you seem to be doing better! Thanks for the post! It is great to hear an update and see some new pictures!

Wolfemom said...

Great post! I think most families with older adopted children can relate to things you've said. I also know some families can not.. and that's good. We often think God called us to this walk to promote older child adoption... but our plans are not always His.

Glad to hear things are looking up. Glad to see you've fought through the battle.

Mom to many said...

Oh Lori,
Wow - I am so glad you commented on my post becuase I have missed you! It was great to hear a little bit from you and now to read your blog! Yikes. I am trying to "talk" my husband into adopting an older child and he won't budge on this one - he says a clear NO! After reading all your struggles I think - eeeks! E-mail me if you want to share more. I really don't think I can sway him on this one and people have told me to respect his decision, but it is so hard for this dominant mom in me! Ugh! YUP - I promised to never ask him about it again, but told him I may hate him for it... hmmmm.... I'm so glad to hear your family is back together! Blessings to you.

Michael said...

It was so good to read your update!!!! I am more than happy that things are going well for you guys. I am also so happy that your marriage has been restored!!! I thought about you and your husband often.

Blessings,
Michelle
www.mfamilyblog.blogspot.com

Kimberly Baggett said...

wow! can i relate to this post!!?!?! we brought home our little two (yalfal & kinetibeb...now scarlett paige and atticus!) just before you guys came home with faven and diborah....we were the ones who fell in love with your girls and took millions of pictures of them together.....diborah was around the same age as our two and wore the same clothes as scarlett paige in the orphanage!

i must say that COMMITMENT, like you said, is the key to pressing forward in the "low times" of older child adoptions for sure! there are so many wonderful things that happen but not many people talk about the "not so pretty things" you must deal with....the Lord always brings you through, but it is so much harder than you think when you are finally walking the journey!!! keep on keeping on and know that you are not alone! i will be praying for you as you find yourself on the mountaintops and in the valleys, they are all part of the journey that draws your family together!!

i would love to get in touch with you to share and encourage one another as we are walking similar journeys! you can never have too much support!! ha!

my email is kimbo2710@aol.com...
hope all is well!
kimberly

Christine said...

I'm so happy for all of you!

Rebecca said...

I have to say I admire you guys and your commitment to your kiddos. I'm sorry it's been difficult, but I appreciate you sharing your heart and real experience.

We'd love to see you guys again soon! Call us when you're in town :)