When Faven and Diborah first came home, they didn't speak or understand English very well at all. We were able to communicate by showing and demonstrating. I thought they would be delayed in speaking English because they were able to communicate with each other in Amharic. This wasn't always good. Faven would be chattering away in Amharic and Diborah would begin to cry. I have no idea what Faven was saying but I know it wasn't good. I was ready for them to begin speaking our language!
Although Diborah still struggles alot (she repeats words and phrases that we say, but doesn't really understand), Faven is learning English rather quickly and is getting good at communicating with us.
During the superbowl, we let the 3 little girls watch a movie in another room. It wasn't long before they started having problems.
Faven marched out and said in her broken English and oh-so-cute accent, "Dee-BOR-ah...moo-vee...off!!"
John said, "Diborah turned the movie off? Why?"
Faven replied, flailing her arms, " I don't a know! She's crazeee!!!"
Oh, I love my girls! They make me smile!

9 comments:
So interesting, as we are wondering what, if any, English our children will know. And yours have been home less than two months... how cool!
That would be a huge adjustment for them. it must drive you crazy not knowing what they are saying. Your story was cute
How cute is that?!
By the way, I love their new middle names. I mean, I loved Rihanna and Beyonce and all :) I think Faith and Noelle suit them very well. So sweet.
Too funny!
I really hope Abebe does not lose his accent. I would miss it!! And he actually can fake a Texas accent quite well!
I know Faven and Diborah will continue to pick up more English with each day.
Rebecca
That is so darn cute. We are getting an interesting perspective from our Chinese exchange student. Speaking and listening to english all day makes him incredibly tired.
That is hysterical! They come up with some funny stuff when they're learning. The other day Ruby told me "Mommy, my little sister she crack me up!"
Are you sure Faven isn't part Italian? With the hand gestures and the drama, it sounds like she must be!
Haha! She IS VERY dramatic! She's such a fun girl!
Sounds like things are going well!! Are you guys going to come to the reunion in tulsa this summer?? I hope so!! Let me know!!
jocbro@cox.net
Post a Comment