We have our second court date just 3 weeks from today! Yaaay!
There was a quote in my daughter's school newsletter yesterday from a very wise person named anonymous. Anonymous said, "The really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour." That really made me think about how I've handled the long wait during this adoption journey.
These last two months have been quite a detour for us. We had hoped to breeze through our court date on June 10th and head off to Ethiopia soon after. Obviously, this didn't happen. Nearly four months later, we're still waiting to bring our precious daughters home. Now anonymous has me asking myself..."How have I handled this detour?" Not so good at times. I've experienced moments of frustration, self-pity, anger, frustration...oh yeah, I already said that.
But, I have to say I've also had some really great times and really productive times during this wait.
--We finished up one sports season (baseball) and moved into the next (football).
--We've gotten settled into a new year in school.
--I started a regular exercise program with my sister-in-law and have actually lost a few pounds.
--I've met new people and their children from Ethiopia.
--As a family, we've raised lots of money to donate to the orphanages in Ethiopia.
--We've raised awareness in our community about the dire needs in Ethiopia.
--We've raised awareness about children in Ethiopia who need forever homes.
--We started the process of bringing a wonderful man to our country to pursue an education so that he will be able to return to Ethiopia someday to support his family and help his people. We hope this will lead to an education program that will give the hope of an education to those who wouldn't have the opportunity otherwise.
We have been busy. We have made the most of our detour. But, I can't wait to get back on the main road to our girls and bring them home soon...forever!

18 comments:
I may have to use anonymous' quote. It will definitely make me think about what we do on our detours (and waits-all the different ones). I will be praying that court goes well for you and your girls. I can't wait to see and hear more about them. Are the kids growing impatient?
Smart person, that anonymous. I am starting to feel the anticipation of the next court date. I hope I can pace the emotions over the next few weeks, although I fully expect to be a nervous wreck on the 17th.
It was good to read about all your detours. I have been thinking about you guys.
I laughed at your latest brilliant insight. Samuel keeps telling us we need to adopt a sister "for Anna". I guess that means they are excited?!?!
Rebecca
So I have a question for you. Did you have a earlier court date? When does your agency think you will travel??
We are with another agency and I know that we have a court date but they don't tell us exact dates. I know that it's mid to beginning of Oct. I am just wondering what the chances are of making it through the first time and when we could possible go. I know that every agncy is different. I just thought I would see what your timeline looks like.
Thanks,
Michelle
I am SOOOOO excited for you!!!!!!
Praying for a favorable court date and for speedy travel!
Blessings,
Kristy
Oct. 17th will be here before you know it! Hang in there and rest in knowing God has an awesome plan!
The Darlings
Thank you for letting me know:)
Michelle
Can you believe it's almost finally here? I was almost in shock today when I told someone we had less than three weeks until court. I haven't been doing a countdown, I had kind of just pushed it to the back of my mind. So when I talked about it today and really counted down to October 17th, I was amazingly surprised :) Hopefully, October 17th will be a great day for all of us!!
Its getting so close! I can't wait to get to read that you've passed?
Hi Lori S!
It sounds like you have a very good handle on things and your outlook is so positive!
Thanks for the lovely comments - Craig and I are in Oklahoma, whereabouts did you live in the midwest?
:)
Cindy
So excited that the courts are opening soon. Praying your girls are home soon!
Lori,
I hope you slept better last night! Just wanted to let you know I was thinking about you.
Rebecca
17 more days! YAY! Praying for a GREAT court date. Praying for you guys!
I am counting down the days with you! I hope you have a stack of good books to get you through the next few days. Meanwhile, prayers are being sent your way from MA.
I am so excited to read that post that says - yippee, we passed court. I thought we would travel around the same time, but God has his reasons and it will be just perfect timing when it all falls into place. I will put in some extra prayers for you!
So excited for you guys! It sounds like that even though your feelings have been at different stages you have made the best of your time here before you leave to pick up your girls! So fun and i can't wait to read all about it! You've made the best of your detour! Taken this dissapointment and made it God's appointment to do some amazing things while waiting. Very cool. Praying it goes smoothly from here on out. So glad you enjoyed the shirt!
Wow, that is close! I'd love to hear more about the education program. Here's to a speedy few weeks!
Yeah! Praying it all goes well!
You know, it's so true about the waits in our life. They may not be a part of our plan, but they are very intentional to God. How awesome to see you step into what He has called you to be a part of while you wait.
I better keep checking your blog. I may beg you to take some pictures for us of our little girl, once you are ready to travel.
Post a Comment