Sunday, November 7, 2010

Orphan Sunday/Birthmom

Today is Orphan Sunday. Just 2 years ago my two beautiful daughters were orphans in Ethiopia.

Three years ago, my heart was pricked to explore the possibility of adoption. I laughed to myself because I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that my husband wouldn't go for that!! We already had 2 teens, a pre-teen and a 2 year old!! Why on God's green earth would we want more children?! But, miraculously, God stirred my husband's heart as well. Since my family doesn't do anything in a small way, we decided to adopt TWO older children, as we knew that it would be more difficult to find a home for older siblings.

We sped through the paperwork, jumped through the hoops and were called with the absolutely exciting news that we had a referral of two little girls, ages 6 and 2!!! We got their info....our biological daughter was also 2 and just 9 days younger than the sweet little girl being referred to us! Perfect, we thought!! :) Of course we accepted their referral!!! We fell in love with two little girls we didn't even know and it broke our hearts each day to know that they were living in an orphanage halfway around the world.

We gave very little thought to the heartbreak of another mother also living halfway around the world. A mother who took her precious daughters to an orphanage, knowing that they would have a better life, but that she would possibly never be able to see them again. (My heart aches for that mother and her two daughters just thinking about it!!! Seriously! I can't even imagine!!)
This brings me to my discussion with my now 9 year old adopted daughter today. I was posting the video that I shared on my blog after we passed court in Ethiopia on facebook. Very rarely do we watch this video, but when we do it brings back memories and stirs emotions!! We remember that despite the difficulties we face daily, we fell in love with these girls and they deserve a mother and father who will give their best to them each day! But, that's me! Selfish, me!

When Faven watches this video, she remembers her birthmom. Remember...she was 5 when she was taken to the orphanage, so she remembers her birthmom very well. Her birthmom also visited her often at the orphanage. And so, as we talked this morning about her birthmom, I had a hard time wrapping my mind around how it must feel for her to miss her mom, knowing that her mom's life is in danger from lack of food and medical care, and to try to be happy with the family and friends that God has given her. So many times, I ask God, "Why?" I'm not even sure that my "Why's" can compare to hers! Bless my little girl's heart!
I share this with you, knowing that it was a private moment. But, I also know that if these pictures can stir anyone's heart to adopt, that this mother and daughter would be ok with that!!!
Saying good-bye.....and one last hug. Can you EVEN imagine?!!


I am so glad that this beautiful, strong-willed girl is in my life!! She is a survivor!!

4 comments:

Sara said...

I cannot imagine.

Paula said...

I met our birth mom last week while I was in Ethiopia. Very hard; very moving. I'll have to share more with you via email.

Rebecca said...

This is very bittersweet! It's so hard to think about our kids birthmother's. I'm grateful for our kids and pray that we always honor who they are and where they came from.

Thanks for sharing Lori!

Sparkz said...

I can't even imagine, it breaks my heart what they have to go through. I'm glad she has you in her life! Two wonderful moms with lots of love.