Tuesday, November 2, 2010

More Angels

In my daily devotion a couple of weeks ago, I read, "A Christian worker has to learn how to be God's man or woman of great worth and excellence in a multitude of meager and worthless things......All of God's people are ordinary people who have been made extraordinary by the purpose He has given them." I was able to meet many people made extraordinary by God's purpose in their lives on my trip to Washington DC with my husband to be honored as angels in adoption. Their stories continue to inspire me!!

The first people I had a chance to meet were Mary Chew and her two beautiful daughters, Ruth and Naomi. Mary had been a missionary in Haiti when she met her daughters. To read her story, go here. Her gentle spirit and patience with her daughters was amazing. They were a joy to be around!

I was also honored to meet a couple, Ben and Kim Green, who had adopted 11 children, one which had recently passed away. Their children were adopted from Korea, Liberia and the United States. I like to visit Kim's blog which describes her daily trials and blessings of an adoptive mom of many!

I met Andrea Faris Roberts from Maryland. Since giving birth to her son with Down Syndrome, she has seen the beauty that Down's children can bring to a family. In 2004, Andrea started Reece's Rainbow, an organization named after her son which was established to reach out to new birth families of babies with Down syndrome. Now Reece's Rainbow raises money as adoption grants, making it possible for families in the U.S. to afford adoption. Andrea has helped to place over 300 children with Down syndrome and other special needs from 25 countries. I voted for her as People magazine's Readers Choice "Hero of the Year". She won!

I also met David and Ann Roth from Illinois. They have an adopted daughter from Guatemala and have been fighting to bring their son home from Guatemala for 4 years!!! Ann is the co-founder and Executive Board member of the Guatemala900 organizaton working to help the hundreds of Guatemalan children whose adoptions are in limbo...awaiting their permanent homes with their US families.

This is but a glimpse into the wonderful people we met in a three day period of time. Wow...talk about emotional!! It was good to see so many people, all using their talents and following God's will toward one passion.....making a better life for children!

"I chose you......." (John 15:16)








.

No comments: