I am a firm believer in the value of community! I have come to find that sharing our burdens and experiences with others helps us to find support and strengthens our commitment in our endeavors.
Take Weight Watchers, for example. It is a tried and true weight loss plan. The secret to WW's success is in the community. Sharing our stories and our struggles, our victories and failures. Learning that we're not alone on this journey. Finding help and advice from others who have been there.
AA is another such example of a group of people with a common background gathering to encourage and coach one another.
I'm sure we've all experienced the value of finding a group of individuals who can relate to our situations.
During our adoption process, I found so much strength, support and encouragement from other families who were adopting and from families who had already adopted. It felt good to know that I wasn't alone and to share my journey with others!
Recently on this blog, I have shared about my struggles with raising a child from a hurt place who struggles with attachment issues. It hasn't been easy to step out and admit that it has been a problem. For some reason it's so much easier to talk about the sunny side of adoption and raising children. Makes me feel more successful, like somehow I'm a better mother if I don't admit I have hard times. Yet, in taking that risk, I have found an awesome community of people who have also had the same struggles. Some who are still in the throes and chaos of it all and can relate. Some who have figured it out and can lend encouragement and hope. I have felt the power of prayers of this community. I have seen a change in my attitude and in my daughters behavior. I know that there will be seasons of stress and difficulty, but for now I thank God that it is better and that it is good!
Thank you to all who have offered advice, a kind word of encouragement, or prayer--they are cherished! Can we have a group hug?! :)

1 comment:
Wouldn't it be great if we all lived close together and could give each other real hugs and pats on the back? But I am still very thankful for the miracle of the internet... without all of the great people I've met online, I probably couldn't have made it during the first year home with the twins. I'm in on the group hug!
Post a Comment