Monday, March 23, 2009

Spring Break!

We SURVIVED our first long trip as a family of 8!!

Last week was spring break for my professor husband and our children. We were very excited that all of their spring breaks coincided with the date of the Gladney Ethiopian dinner in Fort Worth, TX! We loaded up our six children and took off! Well, actually, we loaded up 4 of our children in our 7 passenger mini van while 2 of our children drove behind. We decided that this was a RIDICULOUS way to travel and decided to break down and do the inevitable--buy an 8 passenger vehicle! We are usually very thrifty people, we don't buy 'toys', so to spend money on a new/used car with the economy the way it is, was just way out of character for us. But, we decided that we needed to accomodate our large family, and possibly a friend or two at times, and just do it! Our car of choice was a Chevy Suburban. We not only got all of the seats that we needed, but also room to pack our stuff. I have to admit, I am really enjoying it!!!
Anyway, we made this purchase in Oklahoma City. My husband's grandma and aunt and cousins live there, so it was the perfect place to stop. This was the first time that Faven and Diborah got to meet their Great grandma and great aunt! They were met with a special welcome cake, a wonderful meal, and a fun walk to Lake Hefner to feed the ducks and geese.




















We spent a few nights in OK City, then loaded up our family for our first ride in the same car! During our stay in Fort Worth, the girls discovered that they LOVE to swim! I was afraid of that!! I am worried about what the pool water will do to their hair!! They also spent a lot of time at the McDonalds play place next to our hotel.

The highlight, of course, was going to the Gladney dinner, meeting blogger friends, seeing our caseworker, Mary, again, and seeing our in-country reps, Belay with his family, and Travis and Joanna. These are all amazing people who have had such a huge impact on our lives. It was also exciting to see the families created (and in the process of being created) through adoption from Ethiopia. It was neat to watch Faven warm up to friends she had while living in the Gladney Foster Home in Ethiopia. I think it was so good for her to see Belay (whom she loves) and Ethiopian friends and then leave and go home with her family!














Vacation? Not for me...
We had fun times, we had whiny times, we had laughing times, we had screaming times, we had relaxing times, we had frustrating times. We sang, we danced, we visited, we ate, we slept...but, most importantly, we bonded!!! Our older children bonded together in frustration (:, our younger children bonded, our older children bonded with the younger children. But, the most amazing part for me was the bonding that took place between John and I and Faven and Diborah. I can see the difference now that we are back to our daily routines. They are happier, calmer, and more compliant. I'm not sure what we expected when we adopted, but bonding did not take place immediately. It has taken time, patience, commitment, and, yes, work. Are we there yet? Probably not, but we are closer!!!

11 comments:

Sara said...

I love the last two sentences. We bought a Suburban last summer and I LOVE it! We haven't filled all the seats yet, but it is so nice to have separation room if you know what I mean!

Jennifer said...

You may need to change the name of your blog to "Getting Closer!"!
That first picture reminds me of the phrase "Let the wild rumpas start!".

Adoption Cubed said...

As we were packing up our minivan for our trip I thought about you guys! I wondered how all of you would be traveling - together, two cars! We've outgrown Brad's small sedan and have had some frantic moments when we are limited to just one car. Bigger cars are needed sometimes! I hope everyone is enjoying the new car and the room!!! We had some fun times AND some tedious times on our trip too but have seen some major changes since we've been home. Ah, family!

Love, love, love the picture of the kids in the hotel! Too funny!
Rebecca

Rebecca said...

It sounds like a wonderful trip! It must be wild and fun and crazy all at the same time traveling with such a large family! Glad to hear you opted for the larger car! I, on a smaller scale, had to do the same thing when we were in the process of adopting. I traded in my PAID FOR Cherokee for a used mini van. I'm glad I did with three kids in car seats, even if I do have a small car payment now. Much easier!

Jim and Debbie said...

It was great to meet you guys and see the girls again. I love the picture you posted with Kuri. I would have posted a reuion picture too but mine didn't turn out very well.
Blessings,
Debbie

Rebecca said...

First of all, you and your oldest look so much alike that I thought that was you jumping on the bed! :)

Fun Spring Break, right? I think the Gladney dinner was awesome. Glad I got to see you all - wish we could have chatted more!

Paula said...

We just bought an 8 passenger vehicle over the weekend in preparation for our twins coming home *someday*. Can't say I'm looking forward to car trips much, but it's nice to see it's survivable! Just hope the gas prices stay reasonable! ;)

Farmboy and Buttercup said...

OH, funny!

We are actually looking at a Suburban right now. We are right there about thinking it is a little odd that we are doing a huge purchase in this economy, but also know we are crammed in our current car, and just plain won't fit when little sister is here.

Glad you like it!

Kristy -Mom To 9 Blessings said...

So glad to hear from you and about your wonderful spring break trip! :-) It's great to hear you talk about the bonding process....yes folks, it is a process. The girls look so great and so happy!
Blessings,
Kristy

J, A, T and Y said...

I love that bed picture...so cute!

Amber said...

You and your daughter are twins!